Dis-abled? I think not. The better word is “differently abled”.
I am very touchy about this topic, because I have a loved one who is differently abled. He is diagnosed with down syndrome. Although we aren’t blood, he’s like my little brother. I have dreamt of someday making the world a better place for him.
I’ve dedicated the rest of my life to working hard, to make life easier for the lesser fortunate. Be it emotionally, physically, financially or anything basically.
In my mind, even though my family can’t possibly be categorized under ‘a rich family’, I wholeheartedly believe I’ve had my share of luck with unconditional love and support from my wonderful family. Having approached 18 years of living, and legally being an adult, it’s my turn to be the giver.
Now that you are able to know what I’m doing with my life, you’ll see that someday I’ll accomplish my dream and there will be an article titled ‘Aqueel’s Happy Place’ telling you all about it.
What may ‘Aqueel’s Happy Place’ be?
- GG’s flowers – The Canberra florist is a family-run, socially-sustainable business, that was started as a way to create meaningful employment opportunities for people with special needs. If you are living in Canberra, the next time you want to buy some fresh flowers, make sure to buy them from GG’s flowers. You can check out their facebook page here.
- Bitty & Beau’s – A coffee shop that provides jobs for those with intellectual and development disabilities. Amy Wright, whose two youngest children have down syndrome, started the business a year and a half ago. If you are living in North Carolina, the next time you want to head over for some coffee, make sure you go to Bitty & Beau’s. You can check out their facebook page here.
Here’s a video about why people love Bitty & Beau’s coffee shop –
Join us in our mission to give differently abled people love, support and meaningful employment. If you are able to do something like this, please go ahead and take the initiative to do so. Let’s change the world, one step at a time.
You can find more inspiring videos under Changing The World One Step At A Time – Let’s Focus On The Good.
Here’s A Few Direct Links –
- For anyone who feels like they are alone in the world!
- The Beautiful Anti-Terrorism Ad
- Pizza Shop Feeding The Homeless
- The Invention Which Helped Her Write Again
- Inspiring Words On Not Losing Faith
- Say NO To Racism – Inside We Are All The Same